Monday, July 22, 2024

This week we continued to experience the new normal heat waves of summer. I remember as a child growing up in Brooklyn, we were lucky enough to spend summers in the cooler Catskill mountains. My family didn't rent a bungalow or stay at one of the many borscht belt hotels. Instead, believing in always owning not renting, they bought a small former chicken farm in Harris...a speck on the map between Liberty and Monticello. It was a tiny 4 room concrete house consisting of living room, kitchen with an ice box (meaning my Dad had to transport a giant block of ice every few days & place it in the top portion to keep the lower refrigerator section cold), 2 mini bedrooms & a bathroom. Each Spring, around Mother's Day, we would drive up to check on how things wintered over. That time of year the wild lilac bushes were in full bloom. The car ride home was always perfumed by a trunk packed with fresh cut flowers that were happily shared with relatives on our return. To this day I love the smell of lilacs. 

I've lived in warmer places and found enjoying cool flavorful food helps mitigate the temperature. A particularly delicious, simple and beautiful salad I first encountered in Minorca, Spain is one that became a favorite at my bakery/cafe in Florida. I thought I'd share it with you.

Simply plate thin slices of peeled oranges, red onion, Kalamata olives, golden raisins, toasted almonds and a mint sprig. Drizzle with

       ORANGE VINAIGRETTE

  • ¼ cup fresh orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon (or more) white balsamic vinegar
  •         1/2 TBL Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon honey (more to taste)
  • ⅛ teaspoon cracked black pepper
  •         1-2 TBLs extra virgin olive oil

  • Combine orange juice, vinegar, mustard, honey, pepper and olive oil in a small jar with a lid. Cover and vigorously shake until combined. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Shake well before serving.

 HERE'S WHAT I'M BAKING THIS WEEK

A reminder that I post the week's menu on Monday, orders must be in by Wednesday at 5, pick-up is Friday afternoon in Catskill Village. I bake small batches in limited quantities so first come, first served.

RUGELACH   $5/pkg 4 oz

They're individually handmade with cream cheese dough that bakes up into a super flaky pastry. Filled with plump raisins, toasted walnuts, Saigon cinnamon and apricot jam that melts in your mouth. Because they're baked fresh, you can freeze them too.


BIG COOKIES AND BISCOTTI   $3 each or 4 for $10


CHOCOLATE ORGASMS 



My signature cookie that I've been making since 1999. They're a chocoholic's fantasy come true...mostly melted Belgium bittersweet chocolate surrounding chunks of more chocolate, toasted almonds and just enough flour to hold them together. Too satisfying to share...maybe.

BROWN BUTTER TOFFEE CHOCOLATE CHIP




Taking the classic chocolate chip cookie to another level with the addition of nutty tasting brown butter and the perfect crunch of mellow toffee candy. Take me home, I'm in heaven.


CATSKILL CATS   HAPPY HIPPOS




While the Catskill Cats are away, a herd of Happy Hippos have taken their place on this week's line-up. These sugar cookies sporting hearts would like to bring some love to your plate.

SNICKERDOODLE


When you're not craving chocolate but want something special to snack on, what could be better than a cookie covered in cinnamon sugar.


CRANBERRY PISTACHIO BISCOTTI  

$3 each or 4/$10




Definitely the favorite at our house, chock full of juicy cranberries and roasted pistachios, they may become your favorite too.



MORNING GLORY MUFFIN   $3




A white whole wheat muffin crammed with apples, carrots, coconut, pineappple, raisins, walnuts and everything else that made it one of Gourmet Magazine's favorite for the past 50 years.



If you'd like to join my mailing list and receive my blog each week, send your email address to bonnibakescatskill@gmail.com 

I will never share your personal information. If you have a request or question, drop me a note. I do special orders too. 


Have a wonderful week and bon appetit!  Bonni



No comments:

Post a Comment