Monday, July 8, 2024

 

Flowering basket courtesy of Cultivate Catskill

It's been a very hectic week for me. It was the first time I posted my Bonni Bakes menu online and took orders. Of course, I've done this for several years in Florida after closing my bakery/cafe, but this was the first time I reached out to my new community in Catskill. I'm grateful and overwhelmed by the very warm welcome & encouragement I've received, including 294 likes on the Catskill Community Board FaceBook page...and I'm not even sure how FaceBook works. Duh!

It was also First Friday in Catskill Village and a great time to meander up & down Main Street meeting friends, enjoying music, viewing new art & shopping like a local in so many unique shops. I live above Citiot and was enchanted by the siren call of strumming ukuleles and singing by an exuberant group of players. Their joy was infectious and I went down to experience it in person. Everyone watching was smiling and tapping their feet. It was a delightful surprise!! You can find out more at http://ukulelecatskill.com/


I also had the opportunity of meeting members of Cultivate Catskill. They're the magical folks who plant local public areas with flowering urns & cascading overhead baskets that we all love on Main Street;  surprising season-long flowers on those hidden side streets & the bridge; make sure the trees on Main St are well maintained, and gave us Catskill's Winter Solstice Stroll. My personal welcome took place the day after I moved here 12/20/23, when their Winter Stroll happened, and I was able to meld in with my family enjoying some toasted marshmallows. They're a very special group of volunteers. Last Friday they had a raffle for a gorgeous blooming basket pictured above and I WON IT!! But I want to share my luck with you, so I'll have it with me when I'm at the next Catskill Farmers Market on July 14th. I'll be happy to raffle it off FOR YOU and help these volunteers fundraise in order to continue the amazing work they do. More info at CultivateCatskill@gmail.com

This weekend is my grandson Levi's 8th birthday. I know I'm disappointing him by not making yet another rainbow birthday cake but it's time for something new and it involves swords (no sharp points). He'll just have to wait and see.

 HERE'S WHAT I'M BAKING THIS WEEK

RUGELACH   $5/pkg 4 oz

The classic real deal, individually handmade with cream cheese dough that bakes into a super flaky pastry. Filled with plump raisins, toasted walnuts, Saigon cinnamon and apricot jam that melts in your mouth. Because they're baked fresh, you can freeze them too.


BIG COOKIES   $3 each or 4 for $10


CHOCOLATE ORGASMS 



My signature cookie that I've been making since 1999. They're a chocoholic's fantasy come true...melted Belgium bittersweet chocolate surrounding chunks of more chocolate, toasted almonds and just enough flour to hold them together. Too satisfying to share...maybe.

OATMEAL RAISIN WALNUT



A classic that was my husband's favorite cookie...the toasty warmth of hearty oatmeal embellished with juicy raisins and crunchy toasted walnuts is filling, but you can always find room for another.


SALTED CHOCOLATE CHUNK



America's favorite cookie, palm sized & filled with large chunks of dark chocolate with a sprinkle of Maldon salt to top it off. Perfect!


CATSKILL CATS



These whimsical multi-colored felines are sugar cookies who love to honor their home town of Catskill in a delicious way...meow


BANANA CHOC CHIP MUFFINS

 Texas size $3 each  or  4/pkg mini muffins $5




A banana walked into a bar and bumped into a bunch of melty chocolate chips...HAZAAH, this muffin was born! Available in two sizes in case you need to share.

ALMOND MANDELBROT 

 $3 each or 4 for $10



Before I learned about biscotti, I was loving my Grandmother's classic double baked cookies that were crunchy, scented, speckled with toasted almonds and delicious dipped in tea...coffee for her 💖


If you'd like to join my mailing list and receive my blog each week, send your email address to me at bonnibakescatskill@gmail.com 

I will never share your personal information. If you have a request or question, drop me a note. I do special orders too. Next Sunday July 14th from 10-2 I'll be at the Catskill Farmers Market on Water St. 


Have a wonderful week and bon appetit!  Bonni





No comments:

Post a Comment