Monday, July 29, 2024


I moved to Catskill from Greenpoint, Brooklyn seven months ago but still haven't hung pictures on my walls yet. I've moved four times in the last seven years and it doesn't get easier or smoother. There's setting everything up, organizing a new space and adjusting to a new community, all of which I love to do. I'm one of those folks who embraces change. The fun part is discovering what's hidden in the new space around you. One morning this Spring I was walking my dog along Catskill Creek and came upon a lovely young couple doing catch/release fishing. The water was murky and I had no idea who or what might be swimming there. Within a few minutes she hooked a huge carp and I was shocked to come within inches of that great fish's face



A month later I encountered almost two dozen canoes with local elementary school kids having a wonderful time in the same spot.

What a special place this is and there's so much more to explore.

 HERE'S WHAT I'M BAKING THIS WEEK

I post each week's menu on Monday, orders must be in by 5 pm Wednesday and pick-up is Friday afternoon in Catskill Village. I bake small batches in limited quantities using fresh ingredients (local when possible) with no preservatives. First come, first served.

RASPBERRY PECAN RUGELACH   $5/pkg 4 oz

This week's flavor was suggested by Amy, a woman who obviously knows her garden, her bees & her rugelach. They're individually handmade with cream cheese dough that bakes up into a super flaky pastry. Filled with toasted pecans, Saigon cinnamon, sweet cranberries & raspberry jam that melts in your mouth. Because they're baked fresh, you can freeze them too.


FRENCH SHORTBREAD SABLES   
$5/pkg 6



To honor the beginning of the 2024 Olympics in Paris, I'm making France's classic shortbread cookies, sables. With its sandy texture and rich buttery flavor, they're positively addictive...in a good way. Go USA👍


BIG COOKIES    $3 each or 4 for $10


CHOCOLATE ORGASM 



This is my signature cookie that I've been baking since 1999. It's a chocoholic's fantasy come true...mostly melted Belgium bittersweet chocolate surrounding chunks of more chocolate, toasted almonds and just enough flour to hold it together. Too satisfying to share...maybe.

SALTED CHOCOLATE CHUNK



My version of America's favorite cookie, palm sized, filled with large chunks of bittersweet chocolate and a sprinkle of Maldon salt on top. It hits all the notes perfectly!


SNICKERDOODLE


Last week the entire batch of these cookies were served at a graduation party. For those who missed out, they're back this week. Crisp outside, softer inside and covered all over in Saigon cinnamon sugar. You don't need a special event to reward yourself, you deserve one.

RATNER'S ONION POCKETS   $6/pkg 4



Ratner's, the famous dairy restaurant on the Lower East Side (LES) of NYC back in the day, had baskets of their unique & delicious soft rolls called "onion pockets" on every table. Makes a great sandwich roll, perfect alongside soup, a salad or by itself with a schmear. Yum!



CRANBERRY ORANGE MEGA MUFFIN   $3



A perennial favorite flavor combo -- cranberry and orange. Enhanced with soft spices that feel like a warm hug. Great way to start the day or help you wind down. Either way, it's a delicious winner!


If you'd like to join my mailing list and receive my blog each week, send your email address to bonnibakescatskill@gmail.com 

I will never share your personal information. If you have a request or question, drop me a note. I do special orders too. 


Have a wonderful week and bon appetit!  Bonni





No comments:

Post a Comment