Monday, September 2, 2024

I spent many summers during the 1950s with my family in the Catskills. Not at a hotel or bungalow colony, which were the usual options. Instead, my parents bought a small former chicken farm and we lived in the tiny four room house. My mother, a visionary entrepreneur and owner of a Brooklyn piano store, moved a dozen used pianos into a building on the property and created a pop-up piano store for the summer. She advertised via on-air commercials with the local Catskill area radio station.

Over the course of that summer she sold every piano plus cooked & cared for our family; canned jam from local berries; taught us how to pick wild blueberries and walked us to the local dairy to buy fresh milk, cheese & candled eggs. I loved sneaking a taste of the heavy cream that gathered at the top of the glass bottles of non-homogenized milk, but was careful not to leave fingerprints. Meanwhile, my brother & I spent time walking a mile to use the local hotel's pool for $1. We learned to drive a 1936 Ford pickup truck and shoot my Dad's 22 rifle at targets. It was a very different life than the one we lived in Brooklyn the rest of the year. The good news is that I never killed anyone while shooting towards the woods; I have owned & loved driving a stick shift car since the early 80s, and I now know that sticking your finger into any food container can contaminate it. Just don't do that!!

HERE'S WHAT I'M BAKING THIS WEEK

I post each week's menu on Monday at bonnibakes.com  Orders must be in by 5 pm on Wednesday and pick-up is Friday afternoon in Catskill Village. I hand bake small batches in limited quantities using fresh ingredients (local when possible) with no preservatives. First come, first served. Cash or Venmo only. 

Order at bonnibakescatskill@gmail.com 

ITALIAN PLUM TORTE   $4/slice




The NYTimes has published Marion Burros' recipe every September since 1983. It's a classic for a reason. Everyone loves 💖 it's taste and versatility. Great for breakfast, in the afternoon with coffee, or as dessert with a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

BANANA CHOC CHIP MUFFIN   $3



A banana walked into a bar and bumped into a bevy of chocolate chips...HAZAAH, this muffin was born! A little crunchy on top with melty chocolate winding through banana yumminess inside.


BIG COOKIES   $3 each or 4/$10


ORANGE CHOCOLATE PECAN


Bittersweet chocolate and orange are a classic flavor combo, and when they pair up with toasted pecans...exquisite. Not much more to say except they're a party in your mouth.


BROWN BUTTER TOFFEE CHOCOLATE CHIP



Taking the classic chocolate chip cookie to another level with the addition of nutty tasting brown butter and the perfect crunch of mellow toffee candy. Take me home, I'm in heaven.


VIRGIN CHOCOLATE ORGASM 



Just because some people don't like nuts in their cookies, they shouldn't be denied the experience of this 
chocoholic's fantasy come true. Now a nut-free version of my signature cookie that I've been baking since 1999. Mostly melted Belgium bittersweet chocolate surrounding chunks of more chocolate and just enough flour to hold it together. Something for everyone!

SALTED CHOCOLATE CHUNK



My version of America's favorite cookie, palm sized, filled with large chunks of bittersweet chocolate and a sprinkle of Maldon salt on top. It hits all the notes perfectly!



To place an order or join my mailing list, contact me at             bonnibakescatskill@gmail.com 

I will never share your personal information. If you have a request or question just drop me a note. I do special orders too. 


Have a wonderful week and bon appetit!  Bonni

No comments:

Post a Comment