Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What's coming UP for Bonni Bakes in April

This has been a fun time for me to experiment with yummy things I've been wanting to bake for a while but haven't had the time before. Truthfully, I really don't have the time now, but I believe that making time for personal pleasure is critical. How else can you re-energize yourself and give to others? Whoops, launching back into my clinical social worker mode, but it's still good honest advice.

I hope you're familiar with the treasure that we have here in Manatee County... the organic Geraldson Community Farm, operated as a CSA farm where you purchase a share of the season's crop and receive your ample allotment each week from Nov-May. They're conveniently located in NW Bradenton, just down the road from Robinson Preserve, which you need to experience for your mental health...nature trails, birds, marshes, sanity, silence & smiles.  Come & enjoy the new Sunday Farmer's Market @ Geraldson's.  I'm proud to be a big supporter and vendor there. Come visit this lovely farm each Sunday (except on Easter) from 11-3 where you'll find organic produce and a variety of local vendors. For info check out www.geraldsoncommunityfarm.org

This Sunday, April 1st, I'll be back there with a variety of baked goodies. I'll reprise last week's big hit,  BREAKFAST MUFFINS -- light corn muffins chock full of bacon, Cheddar and sauteed scallions, as well as BLUEBERRY LEMON MUFFINS -- delicate lemony muffins bursting with juicy blueberries. I've been playing with bread dough and will have some of my classic MINORCAN MULTI-GRAIN LOAVES -- made with organic 5 grain cereal & seeds plus something totally new, APPLE STRUDEL BREAD -- filled with raisins, cinnamon & nuts. In addition to those, there'll be the ever mouth watering MANGO PECAN RUGELACH -- filled with my Mango Daiquiri Jam, raisins & cinnamon, joined by a variety of my chunky cookies and delicious homemade jams & mango chutney. Come visit the Sunday Market or order by email at bonnibakes@gmail.com

Next week it's something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT...

If you've ever considered downsizing, and worried about how you could live in a little box, please visit my home the TreeHouse, during the Village of the Arts annual Garden Walk from 11-4 April 6 & 7, 2012.


A few years ago I designed and built a small (under 1000 sq ft) two story house that I call my TreeHouse. It was designed to wrap around an existing Haas avocado tree, and positioned so I could easily pick fruit from my second floor deck. I tried to utilize as many available energy saving & green products as I could. The challenge for me (a person who had NEVER DESIGNED ANYTHING BEFORE) was to create a home embracing both my ideal of personal comfort combined with my desire to leave a small footprint on the planet. Size 7 to be exact.


Experience the surprising spaciousness of this 965 sq ft home. See some of the unique details I incorporated in my design, like glass block in the bamboo floor; hand-painted Miro reproductions on the kitchen back-splash & shower wall; a tankless hot water heater; Victor Garcia's execution of the polished aluminum handrail; a unique sailboat inspired wall hanging system; extensive use of plexiglass; ductless "split" air conditioning system, and a lot more. 


Get ideas for your own projects and maybe your average electric bill will be around $50 too. You might like to read Wade Tatangelo's recent Bradenton Herald article feature on my house. You can find it at  http://www.bradenton.com/2012/02/17/3880534/welcome-to-the-treehouse-bonni.html


My TreeHouse will be on tour Friday & Saturday from 11-4 during the Village of the Arts Garden Walk, April 6 & 7, 2012. I'll be around to answer questions and share information. Architectural plans will be available for sale in the near future.


For information or driving directions call (941) 746-6647 or email me at bonnibakes@gmail.com

Hugs from the TreeHouse,
                                                  Bonni & Twink (the less-than-wonder-dog)



No comments:

Post a Comment