Monday, October 27, 2014

It's a little early to start gift wrapping


but here's my TreeHouse, all snug in its holiday wrap fooling the termites into thinking they should pack up and visit family in another state. It apparently worked, because there was no sign of them when it was unwrapped a few days later. Bon Voyage. This reminds me of a story my brother, the piano rebuilder, shared with me recently.

Once, around 1975, I had to see a piano someone wanted to donate to AMDA. It was in a lower Manhattan walk-up that had been condemned and the tenants were already gone. I don't remember the piano--other than that it was not worth moving--but I do recall the sign scrawled on the wall outside the apartment by the last occupant (and I quote):

                  TO THE RATS, FAREWELL!

Looking forward it's almost time for Halloween. Sadly it's become way too commercialized for me. I miss the good old days when we invented scary things on our own. It was fun watching the brave faces of 12 year old boys turn to panic as they reached into a cauldron of squishy gooey "eye balls" to find the right one to fit the corpse. One Halloween my husband Rea returned from a business trip at 8pm. That year I was wearing green face paint, bedraggled wig, blacked out teeth & a threadbare long dress, looking very snarly as his cab pulled into the driveway. I hobbled over and in my most crackly voice expressed how joyous I was to see him. The concerned cab driver warned him not to get out. "But that's my wife", he said smiling...followed by green greasepaint smeared over both our faces. Happy Halloween Rea.

I'm also celebrating the return of my freezer. I have a French door refrigerator and over a year ago one of the tracks of the lower freezer section jammed. I could open it partially to make ice and store some things on the top shelf, but not to extend the large basket. I assumed the track had to be replaced, which sounded expensive so I managed using my small chest freezer. 


This week I removed everything from the freezer, item by item, for the recent tenting. Seeing it all empty prompted me to call an appliance repair person. Luckily, I reached Brian from AllPro Appliance Repair on 9th St W. Not only did he come over within an hour, but he had that drawer "slip sliding away" in no time. He is competent, reasonable and a neighborhood business. We also recognized each other immediately, since he and his family had been frequent guests at BONNI BAKES bakery/cafe over the years. It feels good to support local business. You can reach Brian at (941) 744-9262 or www.aparepairbradenton.com  Now I'm ready to bake!


THIS WEEK'S MENU     PICK-UP  FRI  OCT 31

MORNING GLORY MUFFIN    $2
Enjoy a glorious healthy beginning to your day with whole wheat, carrot, apple, pineapple, coconut, raisins, spices, toasted walnuts and sunflower seeds. 


CINNAMON APPLE TWIST    $4
A buttery Danish loaf filled with yummy Honey Crisp apples, Sri Lanka cinnamon and raisins plumped in Jamaican Appleton Estate dark rum. Generous enough to share, but you don't have to.


THE BIG COOKIE    $1.50
Individually wrapped & available in Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Orange Walnut Belgium Bittersweet Chocolate, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, Pecan Coconut Belgium Milk Chocolate.


CHOCOLATE ORGASM COOKIES     $5/pkg
My legendary chocolate delivery system made from melted Belgium Bittersweet chocolate, toasted fresh almonds, chocolate chips & very little flour. Sold in packages of four because you must have more than one.


ROSEMARY PARMIGIANO BREADSTIX    $4/pkg
Just in time for the holiday season, let the crunching begin with a bag of crisp hand rolled sticks bursting with the flavors of garden fresh rosemary and lots of parmigiano.


WHOLE WHEAT RAISIN WALNUT    $5/loaf 
One of my favorite breads. To recreate Chock Full 'O Nuts' classic cheese sandwich, just fill with cream cheese. Not a sweet loaf so its wheaty flavor, fruit & nuts compliment many things.


JAM & CHUTNEY  $4/jar        FRUIT BUTTER  $5/jar
Check out my new flavors this season, as well as those classics. Choose from: 
Mango ChutneyGinger Pear Chutney, Blueberry Lime Jam, Simply Strawberry Jam, Pineapple Daiquiri Jam,  Blueberry Pineapple Fusion Jam, Carrot Cake Jam, Mango Margarita Jam and a couple of jars of Spiced Pear Butter.


No artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or fake stuff EVER!!

ORDER BY 5pm WEDNESDAY

all items in limited supply... first come, first served


PICK UP FRIDAY 1-5 pm at BONNI's TreeHouse

in the Village of the Arts

   932 12th Street West 
(down the driveway thru the white wrought iron gate) 


TO PLACE AN ORDER 

email  bonnibakes@gmail.com  
  
or call me at (941) 746-6647 

   PAY BY CASH OR LOCAL CHECK TO BONNI BROWN  

 Hugs from my kitchen,
Bonni

No comments:

Post a Comment