Monday, August 12, 2013

I can hum, bake & sell my stuff at the same time

I find myself constantly humming ever since I saw the Manatee Player's fabulous production of "Les Miserables", which opened last week.

Manatee Performing Arts Center entrance
I first saw this musical in London during June 1987, while on a free trip I won to England on British Airlines. As a promotion, they gave away every seat on every outbound flight from the US during a 24 period. I casually mailed in the entry form from my newspaper and a few weeks later found out I won two free plane tickets, hotel, food, etc. Unfortunately, the timing turned out to be horrible. My husband was scheduled to shoot a commercial out of town and both of my kids had NYS Regents final exams that they couldn't miss.

The TODAY SHOW covered our 9am departure with a live feed from JFK, including a dozen bagpipers in full dress, piping us aboard. Maybe that deafening sound is the reason I can't listen to bagpipe music today. I was the only passenger on the plane with an empty seat next to me, so I made the best of it & had a great adventure on my own ;-)

"Les Mis" was playing in London and had a few tickets available for a matinee. Within minutes of the lights going down in the theatre, I was transported to that era surrounding the French Revolution, then became transfixed by the story. Now, 26 years later, the thrill isn't gone. The new Manatee Performing Arts Theater is beautiful, spacious & elegant. The majesty of the chandelier in the lobby sets the tone, and the seats are sooooo comfy.


Now with a bigger stage, more complex sets, choreography & theatrical "surprises" can take place. The current cast of 48 is blessed with an incredible number of talented actors with extraordinary voices. And the score, ranging from personal musical soliloquies to bawdy English Music Hall humor, is able to showcase their talents beautifully. Rick Kerby, Artistic Director, certainly set the bar high, since this is the opener of their new season. Don't miss this timeless show! Tickets (if they haven't already sold-out) for performances through August 25 are available through their box office at manateeplayers.com

perfect reflection seen in this mirror

Things are moving right along with my POP-UP SHOP, where I'm selling personal possessions I no longer have room for, since I sold my "big" house. Here are a few choice items I've just unpacked that are available Fri & Sat from 11-4 at 930 12th St W in Bradenton. More details below.

A great 48" ROUND MIRROR that was custom made with 1/4" thick plate glass and plywood back for stability. $100

side view of 1/4" mirror & plywood back

If you do any close-up work and want to see things easily, without holding a magnifying glass in your hand, have I got the perfect item for you.

Lighted magnifying glass

Just screw the base to a table, plug it in, adjust the swinging arm to a comfortable position and turn on the florescent light.
Voila...read, sew, fix things. LIGHTED MAGNIFYING GLASS $20


And of course, I saved the cutest for last. I fell in love with this MINI TRASH CAN & couldn't resist it. The top flips up so the galvanized container inside can easily be removed. Red all over, take it before I change my mind. $10


This week I have THREE Miracle Berries available, born on a sensitive plant that took four years to produce its first blossom. The fun of this harmless berry is that when chewed it coats the inside of your mouth with its juice, which makes everything you eat for 30 minutes incredibly sweet. Mike & I experimented with a dozen items, including sour foods & pickles, but the most fun was the resulting candy-like flavor of biting into a wedge of lemon. You can share one berry with a friend because 1/2 a berry is still enough. $2 each


Let's talk FOOD. If you were one of the lucky ones to taste those fabulous blueberry scones last week, I don't have to say anything more. 

BONNI BAKES Blueberry Lemon Scone
I'm very picky about the food I eat, and even more so about what I'm making for you. I wanted a scone that was full of fruity flavor, with a background of butter, crunchy on the surface and not boringly dry. That scone rocked!! Of course, I love change, so this week it's a CRANBERRY ORANGE SCONE $2.50/each

BONNI BAKES Almond Mandlebroyt (Jewish Biscotti)
With all of the renovation, unpacking, designing & planning I've been doing, I'm drinking a lot of coffee. Nothing tastes as delicious & complimentary as dunking an almond studded cookie into that coffee. The classic cookie I remember growing up was MANDLEBROYT, twice baked with toasted almonds in every bite. I'm sharing some this week. $2.50/pair

Onion & Poppy Seed Pletzl
Today it's very chic to order "flatbread", but when I was a kid we looked forward to my Dad bringing home PLETZL on Sunday. Jews have been baking this delicious onion board, covered in toasted poppy & sauteed onion, for ages. Break off a piece and schmear it with cream cheese, eat alongside soup, with a dip or just have it plain & you're in heaven. $4/pkg


Twinkie suddenly appeared with her muzzle covered in dirt, trying to look like an angel. I wasn't buying it and told her so.


"Who me digging in the dirt?" She quickly corrected the situation...what could I say? I love you & I need to focus.


  
  Order bakery by 5pm Wed for pick-up Fri or Sat
                        all items in limited supply

         POP-UP SHOP items available Fri & Sat 11 - 4

TO PLACE AN ORDER call me at (941) 746-6647   or

 email  bonnibakes@gmail.com  by 5 pm WEDNESDAY 

 Pay by cash or local check made out to Bonni Brown



PICK UP YOUR ORDER

 in The Village of the Arts  

at former BONNI BAKES building 930 12 St W

FRIDAY or SATURDAY from 11 - 4  
 

 Hugs from my kitchen,
Bonni


 P.S.  My building at 930 12th St W is available 

for rent as a gallery, food establishment or home 

business. Call to make an appointment for a tour.

                                    





No comments:

Post a Comment