Tuesday, July 16, 2013

This week is a balancing act


Saturday I had the joy of attending Maya's Masquerade 16th Birthday Ball. It was a beautiful affair and reconnected me with wearing heels, bright pulsating lights, Cumbia music & the under 20 crowd. A true break from my project driven reality this summer.



Two sides of the deck have their window tracks installed and I'm adjusting to looking out through screening. The acrylic windows are there too, but their protective blue plastic is still in place. Next will be replacing the wire below with clear plexiglass.


For the first time in ages the temperature is a little cooler and there's less humidity. I took advantage of it by turning off the a/c & opening every door & window. I think the bugs are put off by my new screens because I haven't seen any flying inside so far. But the daily rain is still never-ending. Weeds that were hand pulled a week ago are back, and almost a foot high...in one week! Hard to stay ahead of them and get anything else done, so I just have to focus my gaze elsewhere these days.

I had Florida Power & Light (FPL) send a representative to do a free energy survey in the former Bonni Bakes building. Based on the amount of insulation you have, they can give you a voucher (up to $300) to install more. This was a no-brainer for me because that wonderful 103 year old building hasn't got a shred. The visit was brief and I qualified for the maximum amount. Installation of attic insulation is at the top of my list. There's more information on their website.



Cooks Illustrated has a video on how to cook perfect hard boiled eggs. The method is very simple and the results were foolproof. Just look at my eggs above.

Place the eggs in the bottom of a tall saucepan in one layer. Cover with cold water one inch above the eggs. Bring to a rolling boil; remove from heat; cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove eggs, gently crack all over, and put in an ice bath for 5 minutes. They are then ready to peel. Start at the rounded top part of the egg where an air bubble is located. They were delicate in flavor; the yolk was creamy not chalky; the white was supple not rubbery, and there was no sign of a green ring. It's my new preferred method. Yum yum!!


I'll be baking a few things this week, as I try to balance time in the kitchen with time unpacking items for sale. I'm also preparing to put the former Bonni Bakes building up for rent. As usual, this is all taking much longer than I thought. 

on the menu this week:

Big Cookies   $1.50/each
Individually wrapped & available in the following flavors:
Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Orange Dark Chocolate Walnut, 
Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Pecan Coconut Milk Chocolate       

Kalamata Feta Breadstix  $4/pkg
Roast Garlic Blue Cheese Breadstix  $4/pkg
Crisp, hand-made sticks bursting with flavor. Delicious paired with an appetizer, soup, salad or cocktail

Cranberry Orange Muffin  $2/each
One of my most requested muffins, made with plump fresh cranberries and Florida oranges

Outrageous Brownie w/Chocolate Chips  $2/each
A chocoholic's delight...fudgy and intensely chocolate, studded with chocolate chips  (NO NUTS)

Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread  $5/loaf
A soft loaf with a tunnel of cinnamon sugar and lots of plump dark raisins, makes great French toast too

                 Pre-order by 5pm Wed for pickup Fri or Sat   
           Order early, most items in limited supply

TO PLACE AN ORDER call me at (941) 746-6647   or

 email  bonnibakes@gmail.com  by 5 pm WEDNESDAY 

 Pay by cash or local check made out to Bonni Brown


PICK UP YOUR ORDER
 in The Village of the Arts  
at former BONNI BAKES building 930 12 St W
FRIDAY or SATURDAY from 11 - 4  
 

 Hugs from my kitchen,
Bonni







No comments:

Post a Comment