Monday, December 24, 2012

THIS WAS CHRISTMAS IN MINORCA



a few years ago when Rea & I were there celebrating it with our good friends Kinty, Allan, their son Federico, assorted neighbors (some in costume) plus the usual birds & dogs. Just look at her face and you'll understand what an imp she was. In totally whimsical style the Christmas cedar tree was placed in the middle of the kitchen, where you met it head-on as you entered the house. Of course the official Spanish holiday was Three Kings Day in January, but they celebrated their American holidays as well. One year there was chatter about Chanukah candles too because I was there. They lived in a centuries old building that had once housed the island's monastery. The left over resident ghosts were probably quite annoyed at the "goings on" there. However, for us mortals it was a bit of heaven with Freixenet thrown in. In those days Spain's "champagne" was cheaper than bottled water, and we were trying to be frugal.

This week, as Christmas is celebrated and the year winds down, I'm going with the flow. I'll celebrate my birthday, plus 15 grateful years as a cancer survivor, while anticipating the beginning of a very exciting New Year. As of this writing, in January I'll be traveling around Florida for a week with my dear friend Judy. She is giving up the option of skiing, snowboarding & making angels in the snow at Violet Hill in Rhinebeck for a road trip around Florida. Think "Thelma & Louise"...without the fiery ending. 

Okay, this is Abby not Judy, but an angel is an angel

In February I'm off on an adventure to Kerala, India to spend time with family & friends. This "you can't get there from here very easily trip" includes some down-time in NYC with the Brooklyn hipsters. I can't wait to experience the re-birth of artisan food in my old neighborhoods. 

Kerala, by the Indian Ocean in the south, is famous for the practice of Ayurvedic medicine. Part of that is doing yoga. I plan to learn some before I leave so I can join the people I love doing it on the beach. I'm also hoping to learn how to make some of those wonderful Indian breads. 

Indian Naan
Indian Puri
If I can pull this off, you're in line to be one of my taste testers. The last time this happened I was off to Europe & announced I was going to make pizza upon my return. That resulted in those infamous Bonni Bakes thin-crust pizzas that people are still longing for. Can my traditional Puri and Naan be far behind? Stay tuned.




Last week, the veggies I got at the Palma Sola Farmers Market inspired me to create this stir-fry for dinner. I used shredded TATSOI greens, leafy & crunchy sliced BOK CHOY and EDIBLE POD PEAS (instead of snow peas) in my mix. I blanched the peas (boiled 30 seconds in lots of water then threw them in ice water for a minute and drained dry) then added them during the last minutes of cooking. I was amazed at how crunchy they were after being reheated for lunch the next day. I think that only happens when you buy farm-fresh produce.

POTATO KNISH
SPINACH KNISH
KASHA KNISH
There's a huge snow storm coming across the country, so I'm going to celebrate "Winter in NYC" by making street food this week. That translates to Knishes to me. 

POTATO:  potato, sauteed onion
KASHA:  kasha, potato, sauteed onion
SPINACH: spinach, potato, onion
SWEET POTATO:  sweet potato, sauteed onion

If you haven't spent a freezing cold day standing on a sidewalk in NYC, wishing your socks were on fire, the the next best thing is to buy a hot knish. The thin pastry crust encloses a simple, yet delicious, filling. It feels as warm as a passionate hug or as satisfying as...well, you know. But for just $3 each how can you walk away? They freeze perfectly, ready to be taken out & baked briefly in a hot oven or even a toaster oven. Some people even like to shmear them with mustard, it's a personal thing.  LIMITED NUMBER AVAILABLE. SPECIAL ORDER, $3 each

ALSO AVAILABLE ON MY MENU THIS WEEK:

HOMEMADE JAM & CHUTNEY (limited amounts)  $4/8 oz
Mango Strawberry Cardamom,  Strawberry Balsamic Black Pepper, Mango Meyer Lemon, Berry Basket, Just Strawberry, Keitt Mango Chutney, Ginger Pear Chutney, Tangerine Meyer Lemon Marmalade

BREADSTIX  $4/pkg
Rosemary Parmigiano, Roasted Garlic Blue Cheese

MEGA MUFFINS  $2/each
Breakfast Corn Muffin (Bacon, Cheddar, Scallion) or Cranberry Orange Muffin

CHOCOLATE ORGASM COOKIES  $5/pkg
Mostly Belgium Dark Chocolate, chocolate chips & almonds

LARGE COOKIE  $1.50/each
Belgium Dark Chocolate Orange Walnut, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Belgium Dark Chocolate Lemon (no nuts), Classic Chocolate Chip (no nuts)

PLACE ORDERS BY 5pm WEDNESDAY

call (941) 746-6647 or email bonnibakes@gmail.com


ARRANGE TO PICK UP YOUR ORDER AT MY HOME IN The Village of the Arts 
FRIDAY OR SATURDAY  2-5 (OR BY APPT)
OR SUNDAY AT PALMA SOLA FARMER'S MARKET 11-3

 PAY BY CASH OR LOCAL CHECK MADE OUT TO "BONNI BROWN"

Sunday 11-3 at the Palma Sola Farmer's Market 
at Geraldson's Community Farm. Go to their FaceBook link 
where you can get driving directions  & more information

facebook.com/palmasolafarmersmarket 


Twinkie, my dog, is waiting to welcome you...especially if you rub her tummy

Happy New Year & Hugs from my kitchen,

Bonni & Twink

No comments:

Post a Comment